Monday, July 5, 2010

Peterborough ½ IM: “How do (many) of you sleep when your beds are burning?"

Had the pleasure of doing the Peterborough Half IM tri on Sunday. Beautiful warm day, tad too much wind for me on the bike, oh well oh well. I’ve heard much negative about this race, which somehow I have managed to never do despite both me and it being around for way too long. The lake was clean and cool, the bike course safe and interesting with almost no flat sections. The run was, well literally, a walk in the park for 5 km on paths and grass, then onto the bike course for 16 km of mostly rollers which I enjoyed. Hooked up with JC from my AG and we pounded the pavement together for about 11 km before hammer time at 16 km where he left me in the dust over the last few km. Overall a highly recommend race except for the drafting.

Damn, this is a change for the worse up here. First it was mostly the US races where they do this crap shamelessly (you can’t draft another bike in triathlon and the policing is largely Code of Honour). But now it is getting bad up here, and it isn’t all just the desperate for glory 30-somethings, I’m starting to see a significant number of guys in my AG giving it to this. This pissed both me and Amy P off. But only briefly, cause in the great scope of life if you’ll take riding your bike on a beautiful summer day seriously enough to cheat you’re the one with the problem. I don’t want more police on the course I just want people who want to play fair. So remember these words going through my head this weekend:

"Try to remember, but it hurts
I'm walkin through the cemetary talkin to the dirt
I'd rather die like a man, than live like a coward  …

Only God can judge me now”

And you can’t hide from Him on the run.

[youtube http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=padvnsLUhUM?wmode=transparent]

PO,
boB

No comments:

Post a Comment