Monday, August 22, 2011

OK Valley of the Dolls IV: Bon Voyage Team Sheri... Mega Shark vs GiantOctopus... AO, IM, & rubber?... bad html trip...

Most of Team Sheri is packing their bags excited about heading out to the cloudy OK Valley where the “skies are very cloudy all day”... at least for the last day. The Sica Family was treated to the best $1.19 CDN we ever spend on a dvd rental, Mega Shark vs Giant Octopus, an epic tale and truth be known gentle readers, I was definitely pulling for Mega Shark. Swimming at 500 knots, that’s my game plan for Sunday. And also getting some SERIOUS air:

(wouldn’t watch this if I was flying in the next day or two, I warned you...)



Sorry to spoil one of the obviously important character development scenes, but it relates to my feeling for Mega Shark as a metaphor for our substantial carbon footprints. In the movie Mega Shark challenges our refusal to acknowledge our environmental stewardship by challenging our thirst for unlimited travel over, on and under the sea by consuming airplanes, ships, submarines and the Golden Gate Bridge. Yes, you can argue when Giant Octopus destroys the Japanese oil drilling station he is making a similar statement, but consider he attacked an easy target, in a country that imports 99.9% of its oil. Taking down a couple Kuwait-flagged tankers, now that would have moved me. But hasn’t Japan been picked on enough by creatures from Monster Island?

Oil, petroleum, rubber... ahhh, what would IMC be without AO worrying about rubber? I remember 2008 and coming back to my answering machine in August and hearing a hysterical voice screaming:

TIRES TIRES IN THE GARAGE TUBES TIRES GARAGE BREAK DOWN THE DAMN DOOR AND GET TIRES. FLATS, MANY FLATS, MUST RIDE MORE TOMORROW SEND THEM IMMEDIATELY IN A PLAIN UNMARKED BOX FOR PICKUP AT THE LOADING DOCK AT THE SUPER DUPER FOOD STORE IN OROVILLE AT MIDNIGHT BY “TONY”

Strange times indeed. So I was not surprised when I got a call last night that I knew was coming...

I CAN’T GET MY WET SUIT OFF. IT’S STUCK. TF CAN’T PULL IF OFF, I HAD TO DO THE APPLE TRI IN IT. I’M SWEATING LIKE CRAZY AND HAVE SWAM 15000 M THE LAST 2 DAYS. I NEED A WETSUIT GIVE ME EMILIO DESOTO’S F$&KING CELL NUMBER NOW FOR AN IMMEDIATE SUNDAY NIGHT ORDER/HAND DELIVERY FROM SAN DIEGO TO OROVILLE. BEHIND THE SUPER DUPER AT DAWN, ATTN: “BLACK VELVET”

Diverting her eye to the sale page on the website I was able to hang up and immediately change my cell phone number and block my skype account.

These are weird times and as the density of Team Sheri increases in Pleasant Valley it will only get weirder. IronMeg is sending obscure emails in raw html, her brain moving so rapidly she can’t wait for her computer to parse:

< h t m l > < h e a d > < m e t a h t t p - e q u i v = " C o n t e n t - T y p e " c o n t e n t = " t e x t / h t m l ; c h a r s e t = u t f - 1 6 " > < / h e a d > < b o d y > & # 1 8 4 9 2 ; TML dir=ltr>& # 1 8 4 9 2 ; EAD>& # 1 5 3 7 0 ; META http-equiv=Content-Type content="text/html; charset=unicode">& # 1 5 3 7 0 ; STYLE type=text/css>p { margin: 0; }& # 1 2 0 9 2 ; STYLE> & # 1 9 7 7 2 ; ETA content="MSHTML 6.00.2900.3698" name=GENERATOR& # 1 5 4 2 2 ; /HEAD>& # 1 5 3 7 0 ; BODY> & # 1 7 4 6 8 ; IV id=idOWAReplyText48774 dir=ltr>& # 1 5 3 7 0 ; DIV dir=ltr>& # 1 7 9 8 0 ; ONT face=Arial color=#000000 size=2>Thanks...

This is not the kind of email one’s head deals with easily even after 45 min swimming in the crystal clear lake, head darting back and forth in case Mega Shark wants to double-down on a couple of high stakes 10x100 sets.

People: don’t panic! Ahhh what the hell its too late, go for it, panic, and I’ll be cheering for ya’.

PO,

boB

ps: holy tap-dancing Jesus, IronMeg just sent another 12,100 characters of html gibberish. “Mostly harmless”... Postcard to MJ: Weather is here, wish I could read it!

1 comment:

  1. Patricia Crelling SicaTue Aug 23, 11:53:00 AM EDT

    I see you've been enjoying your trip book - the second volume of Hunter Thompson's letters. Odd how I didn't see the metaphors hiding behind Mega Shark and Giant Octopus until now........

    ReplyDelete